HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A man who pulled over on the side of the interstate in Orange County was hit by a vehicle and killed Monday morning, according to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
According to officials, they received a call around 3:20 a.m. in reference to the pedestrian-involved collision on Interstate 85 northbound/Interstate 40 between Efland and Hillsborough.
According to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol, Deshawn Maurice Perry, 33, of Durham, had a flat tire and had pulled over to the right shoulder to fix his tire. Authorities believe Perry had changed his tire and was in the process of gathering his tools when he was hit by a vehicle.
Perry was pronounced dead at the scene. There is no vehicle description and highway patrol said they are not sure of a “damage area to the suspect vehicle.”
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the North Carolina State Highway Patrol’s Orange County Office at (919) 732-2551 during business hours or the SHP Communications Center anytime at 1-800-334-7411.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- UNCW announces revised schedule for the fall semester
- NC sheriff fires employee over ‘inappropriate’ social media post about George Floyd protests
- ‘Dangerous’: Around the world, police chokeholds scrutinized
- Curfews give sweeping powers to cops, but are often flouted, criticized
- $950,000+ project to improve Johnston County road set to begin
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now