CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — A University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill student was arrested for possessing a rifle that was seen on a social media posting, the school said Monday.
The incident happened Sunday after UNC campus police received an anonymous tip from “someone who had seen the weapon on social media,” according to a news release from UNC police.
The suspect, identified as Caleb Randall Axce, 20, of Charlotte was living in Koury Residence Hall on campus, a UNC police report said.
“UNC Police responded immediately and took the suspect into custody,” the news release said.
Police said they also removed the gun from campus.
The suspect is now banned from the campus. Axce was charged with gun on educational property and released on a written promise to appear in court, the report said.
The investigation into the matter is still underway, according to police. However, the arrest report indicated the case is closed.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 31 people tested in COVID-19 outbreak at Clayton nursing home; some workers walked out last week
- ‘I’ve got to be there for them,’ says Raleigh hospice certified nursing assistant
- ‘Memories are everything’: Cleveland product Caiden Norman treasures role with ECU despite limited playing chances
- 1-year-old shot in head in NC town, police say
- Duke law student recovers from coronavirus, wants others to learn from his experience
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now