CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — A pair of would-be thieves in a stolen pickup truck tried to steal an entire ATM at a bank in Chapel Hill early Sunday, police said.
The incident was reported around 5:45 a.m. at the Bank of America at 851 Willow Drive, according to a news release from Chapel Hill police.
Two masked men — with at least one carrying a large pry bar — tried to take the ATM, police said. They attached a chain to the stolen pickup truck and wrapped the chain around the ATM.
However, photos from the scene show the ATM just fell over and the theft was unsuccessful.
Police said they do not believe any money was taken.
The white pickup truck with “NYC, LLC Underground Construction” on the side, was stolen from a construction site on Dobbins Drive, according to police.
The truck has a license plate of EZ7754. Anyone who spots the truck should call 911 to report the location, police said.
No other information was released. Police said the incident was still under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Custodian arrested after hidden camera found in NC elementary school restroom
- ATF offers $5,000 reward for information on man wanted for shooting Durham County deputy
- NC State football set to honor small senior class on Saturday
- Dr. Cohen: No COVID-19 virus in vaccine for the disease
- Politicians eat their words after dining out, taking trips during pandemic