Parents blame Halloween candy after 5-year-old tests positive for meth

Local News
reeses fave halloween candy_88808

GALION, OH (WCMH) — Police in Galion have a warning for parents after a local parent says their child was given laced Halloween candy.

The incident happened Sunday after Galion’s annual Sunday Trick or Treat. Police say the 5-year-old child was rushed to the hospital after eating a piece of candy. That’s when doctors discovered methamphetamine in the child’s system.

“(We’re) asking people to double check their children’s candy supply that they receive while trick or treating and if there is anything suspicious please give us a call,” said Galion Police Chief Brian Saterfield.

According to police, the child was trick-or-treating in his neighborhood on the west side of Galion, near Arlington and Highland Avenue.

Authorities aren’t sure if the child ate laced candy, but the parents said he was playing with a vampire mouth he received seconds before having a seizure.

The child was treated and is expected to make a full recovery. Police ask that anyone with information call police.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Click here for full list of trending stories