MORRISVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Raleigh-Durham International Airport set a single-day record for passenger traffic on Sunday, December 1, with an all-time high of approximately 54,800 passengers traveling through the airport.
The Sunday after Thanksgiving edged out May 13 – the day after Mother’s Day and college graduations – as the single busiest day in the airport’s history.
The Monday following Mother’s Day is traditionally one of the busiest days of the year and held the previous record with 53,000 passengers in 2019.
RDU officials say 100% of passengers waited less than 30 minutes to get through the security checkpoint and 95% waited less than 15 minutes.
TSA Pre-check lines moved even faster, with an average wait time of less than five minutes. RDU added two new lanes at the Terminal 2 checkpoint this year and plans to open two more next year to help keep passengers moving through security.
Officials believe this December could be the busiest on record at RDU.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Aho scored twice to lead Hurricanes past Edmonton, 6-3
- ‘We need some help’ – Raleigh firefighter urges NC lawmakers to pass cancer bill
- Johnston County school board member alleges ‘corruption and deception’ in $8.8M budget shortfall
- VIDEO: 3-year-old girl inside sedan carjacked at NC Walmart
- Fort Bragg access point reopens after ‘security incident’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now