ROXBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — Authorities in Person County say remains found in a field are believed to be that of a man missing since December 2019.
William Daniel Holt, 75, was last seen walking a brown and white dog around 11:30 a.m. on Dec. 20, 2019, in the area of 412 Shiloh Church Rd., according to a news release from Person County officials.
About an hour later, family members contacted deputies to report Holt, who has Alzheimer’s, had not returned home and could not be found.
The area where Holt vanished is west of U.S. 501 and about five miles north of Roxboro near the Woodsdale community.
A search started with local resources, but was “expanded with state search and rescue teams as well as a (North Carolina) State Highway Patrol helicopter,” a news release said.
On Tuesday, Person County deputies were given a cellphone believed to be of William Holt’s that was found in a field off of Eastwood-Long Lane.
Investigators later confirmed that the phone belongs to Holt and began searching the area.
Just before noon, investigators say a body was located that is believed to be Holt’s.
An investigation into the matter is pending as deputies have not said whether it was Holt’s body that was found.
- Cardboard cutouts pose as guests for wedding amid COVID-19
- AAA tips on how to keep your car running well while unused during pandemic
- Clayton nursing home workers concerned after resident tests positive for COVID-19
- US extends $350B lifeline to small businesses
- Despite beautiful weekend weather ahead, Cooper urges NC residents not to make beach trips
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now