ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities say Roanoke Rapids Police Chief Bobby Martin is the officer placed on administrative leave, following a shooting that left one injured.
During a Friday afternoon press conference, authorities said Chief Martin and other officers were involved in the incident.
A Roanoke Rapids police officer was involved in a shooting early Friday, the department confirmed.
One person was shot but the officer was not injured in the shooting that occurred around 9 a.m. at the intersection of Hinson and Monroe streets.
The SBI has been called to investigate, which Roanoke Rapids said is standard protocol.
The officer, who was not identified, is on administrative leave pending the investigation.
“Thoughts and prayers for all involved,” police said in a Facebook post.
CBS 17 has crew on scene and will update this story as it develops.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- WATCH: Trout air-dropped into mountain lakes by airplane in Colorado
- Box truck driver ejected, killed in crash with GoTriangle bus in Durham; 4 injured
- Horse sinking in mud rescued at Colorado park
- SC mom says high school teacher told class she would kneel during national anthem
- Pressure mounts on GOP senators over filling Ginsburg seat