A Robeson County attorney was killed in a traffic collision in Fayetteville on Sunday, county officials confirmed to CBS 17.
Patrick Pait was killed when a 66-year-old driver crossed the center line and slammed into Pait’s vehicle head on, the Highway Patrol said.
The collision occurred just after 3:30 p.m. on Cumberland Road, just south of Fayetteville.
Donald Rightnour, of Fayetteville was also killed, the Highway Patrol said.
Originally, the Highway Patrol believed Rightnour crossed the center line but after reviewing surveillance footage from a nearby home, investigators reversed that stance.
They now say Pait may have suffered a medical emergency.
The crash is still under investigation.
Pait had served as an attorney for Robeson County since June 2, 2014, The Robesonian reports.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- AMBER ALERT: VIRGINIA INFANT COULD BE WITH NC SEX OFFENDER FATHER
- MOM EXPECTING TRIPLETS DELIVERS UNEXPECTED ADDITION
- VIRGINIA CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATE WANTS TO LEGALIZE CHILD MARRIAGE AND INCEST
- MAN SHOT ATV RIDER AFTER ONGOING COMPLAINTS ALONG JOHNSTON COUNTY ROAD, DEPUTIES SAY
- RALEIGH POLICE SEEK MAN LINKED TO BURGLARIES AT SEVERAL BUSINESSES, OFFICIALS SAY