SANFORD, N.C. (WNCN) – Sanford police shot an armed robbery suspect Tuesday afternoon, according to a news release.
Officers were called to the Dollar Tree at 2031 S. Horner Blvd. in Sanford shortly before 4:30 p.m. The clerk said a man armed with a knife came into the store and demanded money, the release said.
The suspect then fled the store on foot with an undisclosed amount of money.
Officers found the man in a wooded area next to the Dollar Tree. He was armed with a knife. While attempting to arrest the armed suspect, an officer fired his weapon, striking the suspect, the release said.
The suspect was transported to Central Carolina Hospital.
The officer involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated by the State Bureau of Investigation, per standard procedure, the release said.
The suspect was not identified. No further information was released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Gov. Cooper vetoes SB 168 after days of protests
- Data: More than 16K employers in NC received PPP loans of at least $150K
- Some utilities concerned about NC order that allows late payments without cutoffs
- NC lawmakers to have more oversight of state DOT
- Family mourns Durham woman killed by celebratory gunfire on July 4th
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now