LILLINGTON, N.C. (WNCN) – A former Harnett County elementary school resource officer was arrested Tuesday by the SBI on child sex crime charges, the SBI said.
William Mitchell Edge, 47, of Lillington surrendered to agents following a year-long investigation by the SBI.
The SBI investigation was sparked by a tip from the FBI in November 2019, the SBI said.
Edge served as school resource officer at Boone Trail Elementary School as a Harnett County sheriff’s deputy.
Harnett County Sheriff Wayne Coats said the victim was not a student within the Harnett County School system.
He turned himself in at the Harnett County Sheriff’s Office where he was arrested by agents from the SBI’s Capital District office.
Edge was charged with five counts of indecent liberties with a minor.
He was hired by Harnett County on Aug. 27, 2018 and terminated Dec. 18. 2019.
He received a $150,000 unsecured bond.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Salvation Army of Wake County handing out Thanksgiving baskets on Tuesday
- Wake Forest offering service for Santa Claus to call children
- 3-day ticket blitz, 130 $100 citations for going maskless
- Group hosts celebration of life for Evelyn Boswell, whose mom is charged in her death
- Airlines hope proven cleaning techniques will bring passengers back to flying