PRINCEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – A Tarboro man has been arrested in a double shooting that left one dead in Princeville on Oct. 27, the Edgecombe County Sheriff’s Office said.
Melvin Ray Jones Jr., 30, was charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder in the shooting on Church Street, deputies said.
Dekotah Redmond was shot and killed while Travis Lemond Draughn was wounded amid a “social gathering” at a home on Church Street.
Redmond’s body wasn’t found until 7 a.m. while a deputy working Princeville saw a large crowd of people in that area at 2:50 a.m
In the days following the shooting, investigators conducted interviews and executed search warrants on phones and social media accounts.
They also obtained surveillance images from nearby homes and businesses.
The investigation led to Jones being named a suspect.
Detectives are seeking the public’s help in providing any additional information they may know about this incident.
Further arrests are pending regarding this incident.
The $5,000 reward is still available for information that helps convict those responsible.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- South Carolina woman drove car into storefront twice over cost of cigarettes, police say
- ‘Meth, I’m on it’: South Dakota commercial kicks off campaign with alarming message
- Mom reacts after a false wall hiding children was found in Colorado daycare
- 2018 was deadliest year of the flu in 40 years, new study finds
- Man pleads guilty to threatening to kill Democrat Ilhan Omar