CLINTON, N.C. (WNCN) – Video from inside a Sampson County school shows children running as a microburst tears part of the gym’s roof down on Monday.
Union Intermediate School sustained damage as strong storms moved over the area around 2 p.m.
CBS 17 Brian Hutton Jr. said a wet microburst damaged the school’s gymnasium.
Surveillance video shows around 20 people in the gym before the curtain on the stage begins to wave.
The students run as debris starts flying into the gym as the roof comes down.
Wendy Cabral, a spokeswoman with Sampson County Schools, said the storm didn’t do much damage to the gym itself.
Three students suffered minor injuries when the storm hit.
Cabral says the building can be rebuilt, they are just thankful that the students will be OK.
Union Intermediate School was closed Tuesday as cleanup continued.
The National Weather Service said a microburst is a localized column of sinking air within a thunderstorm that can cause extensive damage.
A wet microburst is includes “significant precipitation.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- President Trump releases full CBS ’60 Minutes’ interview ahead of air date
- Here’s the story behind that viral video of Joe Biden hugging a Parkland shooting victim’s child
- The final Biden-Trump presidential debate: What to know, how to watch
- 2 arrested in connection with nearly 40 catalytic converter thefts across Raleigh
- Chick-fil-A sauces coming to stores in Georgia
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now