CLINTON, N.C. (WNCN) – Video from inside a Sampson County school shows children running as a microburst tears part of the gym’s roof down on Monday.
Union Intermediate School sustained damage as strong storms moved over the area around 2 p.m.
CBS 17 Brian Hutton Jr. said a wet microburst damaged the school’s gymnasium.
Surveillance video shows around 20 people in the gym before the curtain on the stage begins to wave.
The students run as debris starts flying into the gym as the roof comes down.
Wendy Cabral, a spokeswoman with Sampson County Schools, said the storm didn’t do much damage to the gym itself.
Three students suffered minor injuries when the storm hit.
Cabral says the building can be rebuilt, they are just thankful that the students will be OK.
Union Intermediate School was closed Tuesday as cleanup continued.
The National Weather Service said a microburst is a localized column of sinking air within a thunderstorm that can cause extensive damage.
A wet microburst is includes “significant precipitation.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- As symptoms change, here’s how you can tell if it’s COVID-19 or allergies
- People speak out after alcohol sales end at 10 p.m. in Orange County
- Sheriff: Florida homeowner kills masked intruders; accomplice facing murder charges
- Florida man arrested for attempting to record under young girl’s dress at Walmart, police say
- 2 men wanted for deadly shooting of pregnant woman in SC; reward offered
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now