RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A man was wounded in what was initially reported as a shooting near downtown Raleigh on Friday night.
According to police, a stolen gun found in a man’s pants accidentally fired during a struggle with officers. He suffered a minor injury, but no officers were hurt.
Police say they were trying to remove the man from a parked car in the 1200 block of South East Street when the gun fired.
Officers were patrolling the area when they encountered several people sitting in the parked vehicle.
Investigators say they noticed illegal narcotics while speaking to one of the passengers, which led to the struggle and gun firing.
Police say the officers did not return fire.
The injured passenger was taken to the hospital for treatment and released.
Two people were arrested, including Tahji Eley. The 28-year-old is charged with resisting a police officer, discharging a firearm, possession of a stolen firearm. He also faces multiple drug charges.
Brian Massenburg was arrested on drug charges.
The incident remains under investigation.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders heads back to NC ahead of Super Tuesday
- Gibbs scores with 0.1 seconds left, Irish beat BC 62-61
- Hughes scores 25, Syracuse blows out Pittsburgh 72-49
- Clark’s 3-pointer lifts Virginia past Virginia Tech, 56-53
- House passes bill to make lynching a federal crime, 65 years after death of Emmett Till
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now