WENDELL, N.C. (WNCN) - The Wendell Police Department has arrested two suspects after an officer was dragged "a short distance" and another was shot at during a traffic stop Friday, according to a news release.
The release said that, around noon, an officer patrolling the 1100 block of Holly Pointe Drive noticed two men acting suspiciously. He saw them get into a vehicle and drive away, prompting the officer to conduct a traffic stop.
The officer found narcotics in the vehicle during the stop, officials said. As he continued his investigation, the driver drove away from the stop, dragging the officer, according to police.
Another officer already responding to the stop saw the suspect vehicle speed away. During the second officer's chase, shots were fired from the suspect vehicle at the second officer, the release said.
The second officer continued chasing the suspect vehicle until losing sight of it, but two men were later arrested. Police did not fire back at the suspects during the chase.
The two men were arrested in Raleigh at a home along Beauty Avenue, according to arrest records.
Michael Lee Kent, 29, of Reid Street in Bailey is facing several charges including felony flee to elude arrest, felony possession of cocaine, assault with a deadly weapon on a government official and possession with intent to sell or deliver cocaine.
Cedrick Tyler Armstrong, 33, of East 3rd Street in Wendell is also facing several charges including two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon, felony possession of cocaine and assault with a deadly weapon.
Kent is being held on a $90,000 bond while Armstrong is being held on a $175,000 bond.
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Best friend remembers teen killed walking home from Hoke County party
- Raleigh restaurant fire under investigation
- Deputies have 'person of interest' after 21 horses found dead in Wake County
- High school student killed in shooting while walking home from Hoke County party
- NC Coast Guard coalition opens pop-up food pantry to help furloughed families
- 'As long as they're alive, there's hope,' says NC dad who lost daughter to overdose
- NC bank among 7 robbed in a month by 'Traveling Bandit,' FBI says
- House Speaker Moore invites President Trump to deliver State of the Union in NC