RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A second man has been arrested and charged with murdering an 18-year-old star basketball player in Raleigh in August, police said.
Elijah Ugochukwu Umelo, 18, of Raleigh, was arrested Wednesday and is charged with murder in the fatal shooting of Desmond Jenkins that occurred around 11:45 p.m. on Aug. 9 in the 9400-block of Prince George Lane.
Jenkins was found suffering from gunshot wounds at the scene and was transported to WakeMed where he later died, police said.
Jenkins was a recent graduate of Sanderson High School. He was an accomplished high school basketball player and had been recruited to play at Granville-Vance Community College.
Jenkins was set to start college in a week when he was shot in front of his apartment.
Roland Lacure, 44, was arrested Tuesday and charged with murder.
Lacure and Umelo are both being held without bond at the Wake County Detention Center.
It’s not known at this time the relationship between the victim and two suspects.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man offers reward after Raleigh food truck is stolen from apartment complex
- Mystery masks: Unsolicited face masks from China arriving in Florida mailboxes
- Raleigh crash with injuries shuts down part of I-87/US 64
- ‘Hate Monger’: New Stephen Miller book outlines roots of Trump aide’s white nationalist agenda
- Algae bloom at Virginia Beach results in ‘foul smell’ and discolored water
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now