RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A second man has been arrested and charged with murdering an 18-year-old star basketball player in Raleigh in August, police said.
Elijah Ugochukwu Umelo, 18, of Raleigh, was arrested Wednesday and is charged with murder in the fatal shooting of Desmond Jenkins that occurred around 11:45 p.m. on Aug. 9 in the 9400-block of Prince George Lane.
Jenkins was found suffering from gunshot wounds at the scene and was transported to WakeMed where he later died, police said.
Jenkins was a recent graduate of Sanderson High School. He was an accomplished high school basketball player and had been recruited to play at Granville-Vance Community College.
Jenkins was set to start college in a week when he was shot in front of his apartment.
Roland Lacure, 44, was arrested Tuesday and charged with murder.
Lacure and Umelo are both being held without bond at the Wake County Detention Center.
It’s not known at this time the relationship between the victim and two suspects.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Biden takes the helm as president: ‘Democracy has prevailed’
- WATCH: Lady Gaga sings national anthem at Biden’s inauguration
- Teen whom Biden befriended as fellow stutterer releasing children’s book
- Twitter transitions @POTUS account to Joe Biden
- Now that he’s out of office, what’s next for Donald Trump?