BARTONS CREEK, N.C. (WNCN) — At least two family members tried to rescue a child who ultimately drowned in Falls Lake Saturday afternoon, Wake County officials say.
The incident was initally reported as a water rescue just after 5 p.m. at the New Light Road bridge near Ghoston Road.
An 8-year-old child was pulled from the lake by first responders just before 6 p.m., according to a news release from the Wake County Sheriff’s Office.
The child was taken to WakeMed, where the victim was pronounced dead, the news release said.
Two family members who tried to rescue the victim were also taken to WakeMed for treatment. Officials said their injuries were not considered to be serious.
“Deputies continue to interview witnesses and family members to find out what led up to the tragedy,” the news release said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC Senator to introduce bill that would defund cities that defund police
- Bus-size asteroid to zoom by Earth, ducking below satellites
- Time’s 100 Most Influential list features Dr. Fauci, Trump, BLM founders
- Man killed in shooting at apartment complex near East Carolina
- Fauci and Redfield say they expect coronavirus vaccine to be widely available by spring