CARY, N.C. (WNCN) — Cary police have charged a Raleigh man with hitting a woman with his truck and killing her in Cary on Thursday night.
Logan Jones, 21, is charged with felony hit-and-run.
Police say Jones was driving a truck that struck 39-year-old Faten Faud Shaikh, who was trying to cross the street near the intersection of Walnut Street and Macedonia Road.
About 10 minutes before the crash happened another driver called 911, saying he was concerned after seeing Shaikh just down the street at the intersection with Tryon Road.
“It looks like this woman is very intoxicated, man. She’s walking in the middle of the highway, and she’s going to end up getting killed tonight,” the driver said. “I mean I’ve been sitting at this traffic light for two or three minutes, and she’s crossed the intersection two or three times. Cars barely missing her, man. She’s gonna… get killed.”
Cary spokeswoman Kathryn Trogden said an officer was dispatched to the area after that call, and that the officer was trying to find the woman when the crash happened.
According to Cary officials, Jones told officers that he thought he hit an animal and continued on his way home about half a mile away. Once he got home, he noticed all the flashing lights from the area he had just been and walked back to the scene, officials said.
When he got back to the scene, officials said he asked an emergency responder what happened and then told them he was the driver.
Jones was transported to the Wake County Detention Center and given a $15,000 secured bond. He has since bonded out.
- Why is NCDOT selling a sliver of land in downtown Raleigh for $20,000?
- A month later, Durham police still investigating threat of violence at private school
- Cape Fear Valley Medical Center working on fix after victims billed as much as $5,000 for rape kits
- Police: Drunk driver runs red light, kills woman in Florida crash
- Dog attack leads to arrest of SC man on animal fighting, cruelty charges