RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Following a day where protests in Raleigh started peacefully but later became mired in looting and vandalism, more protests took place downtown Sunday afternoon and night.

The protests Sunday started the same way as Saturday — with no violence or police interaction — but eventually tear gas was deployed and some damage was seen Sunday night.

The protests started as about 100 people marched in downtown along Fayetteville Street to the Wake County Courthouse. Many of them were holding signs during the event that began around 4:15 p.m.

Later, members of the group were seen lying down in front of the Wake County Courthouse.

While laying down, members began chanting “I can’t breathe” in reference to George Floyd, who died Monday while in police custody in Minneapolis. Wake County deputies later appeared at the entrance to the courthouse.

The group then marched back along Fayetteville Street while chanting “Black lives matter.”

The group then ended up at the Old Capitol Building, where they were chanting as of about 5 p.m.

Around 6:50 p.m., police first fired tear gas and a CBS 17 reporter saw one person detained.

That incident happened as protesters were blocking the road at Morgan Street at the North Carolina Capitol Building. Police asked them to move onto the sidewalk, but tear gas was then fired by police.

“We utilized tear gas to move protesters out of the path of an EMS vehicle on its way to an emergency medical call after they refused to move,” Raleigh police said in a tweet.

Many police officers were at the scene as the protesters continued chanting during the confusion following the tear gas.

By about 8 p.m., much of the group had moved to the Executive Mansion. The group had split apart, but there were many more protesters in total throughout downtown.

Around 8:05 p.m., tear gas was deployed in front of the mansion as police in riot gear walked forward in a line to move to protesters.

By 9 p.m., the protesters at the Executive Mansion were moved from the area. However, protesters were still walking in the middle of many downtown streets, blocking traffic.

Several gas and smoke canisters were fired by police around 9:40 p.m. near the Capitol Building. It’s not clear if all canisters were tear gas.

Just after 10 p.m. some windows were broken by protesters near the Wake County Courthouse.

Around 11 p.m., some bonfires were seen in areas of downtown.

More tear gas was fired by authorities when a protester was seen throwing a water bottle at police around 11:15 p.m. near the corner of East Hargett and South Blount streets.