RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Raleigh’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade scheduled for Saturday has been canceled. Ten thousand people fill Fayetteville Street each year for that event. Another 3,000 take part.
“It doesn’t seem like the coronavirus is slowing down at all. We don’t want to you know, contribute to that at all,” Dianne Enright, Raleigh’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade’s Committee Director said.
It was that committee, not the city who decided to cancel the parade.
“Just reading other reports and what the Governor and the Secretary of Department of Health and Human Services said yesterday,” Enright said.
Enright said it wasn’t an easy decision. They’d already spent $7,000 on preps.
It’s also been a boost for downtown businesses.
“My first reaction was that it was an overreaction,” Alan Swartwood, a bartender at Anchor Bar said.
They planned to open at 8 a.m. Saturday to accommodate the crowds. Swartwood said it’s one of their busiest days each year.
“We get paid on tips and foot traffic is 90% of what makes us money,” Swartwood said.
“We’re a little disappointed to be missing the people coming for this weekend,” Victoria Bailey, a manager at Tama Tea said.
Tama Tea is a vegan and vegetarian café on Fayetteville Street. She said so far the business hasn’t been impacted.
“It will really be interesting to see how it affects us moving into the summer if more street events are canceled,” Bailey said.
- 18-year-old charged after pedestrian killed in hit and run crash
- 22-year-old charged with girlfriend’s murder in West Knoxville shooting
- 1 dead in motorcycle crash along S. Saunders St. near I-40 in Raleigh, police say
- Vendors grateful for opportunity presented by NC State Fair food event
- Triangle law enforcement issuing very few citations as COVID-19 cases continue to increase
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now