WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities in Wake Forest are investigating after two people were found unconscious inside a burning home.
The fire started around 3:20 a.m. at the home in the 400-block of E. Walnut Street. Crews arrived and were met with heavy smoke and fire on the front porch and the first two rooms of the home, officials said.
The fire was extinguished around 3:37 a.m.
Fire crews on scene pulled an unconscious man and woman from the home. The man was immediately rushed to the hospital with serious injuries, officials said. The woman was found in critical condition and was being treated at the scene before she was eventually rushed to the hospital around 5 a.m. Fire officials told CBS 17 around 6:25 a.m. that the woman had died from her injuries.
Crews on scene said both the man and woman had to be revived by rescuers after they were found.
The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Spring Lake man sought in deadly weekend shooting, officials say
- Sen. Tillis says impeaching Trump as a private citizen would set ‘dangerous precedent’
- RDU, other NC airports included in United Airlines sale with flights as low as $29
- Halting evictions, utility shutoffs led to fewer COVID-19 cases and deaths, Duke study says
- Wake County schools working on virtual plan for spring semester