WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities in Wake Forest are investigating after two people were found unconscious inside a burning home.
The fire started around 3:20 a.m. at the home in the 400-block of E. Walnut Street. Crews arrived and were met with heavy smoke and fire on the front porch and the first two rooms of the home, officials said.
The fire was extinguished around 3:37 a.m.
Fire crews on scene pulled an unconscious man and woman from the home. The man was immediately rushed to the hospital with serious injuries, officials said. The woman was found in critical condition and was being treated at the scene before she was eventually rushed to the hospital around 5 a.m. Fire officials told CBS 17 around 6:25 a.m. that the woman had died from her injuries.
Crews on scene said both the man and woman had to be revived by rescuers after they were found.
The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Trump selects conservative Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court slot
- President Trump nominates Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court
- 19-year-old charged with felony DUI in SC crash that killed 1, injured 2 children
- Car passenger dies after collision with SUV in Durham
- Man shot 3 times as street corner argument escalates in Durham, police say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now