CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – Cary grandparents are facing child abuse charges for exposing their grandchildren to health hazards, according to warrants obtained Monday by CBS 17.
Douglas Randal Bogart and Gaylene Jo Bogart, both 60, are charged with misdemeanor child abuse for “allowing the child to be exposed to black mold, fleas, feces and urine,” warrants said.
Gaylene Bogart is their grandmother. Douglas Bogart is their step-grandfather. They were providing care and supervision for their grandchildren — both of whom are under the age of 16, warrants said.
Both also face misdemeanor cruelty to animal charges. Warrants said a large mixed-breed black dog wasn’t given proper medical care. It also had nails several inches long, mange, and “could hardly walk.”
Another dog — a small white one — also was without proper medical care. Its nails were several inches long, as well, and were curling around its paw, warrants said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Water main break slows late-night traffic on major Raleigh roadway
- Sources: Security officers pulled off job at St. Augustine’s
- 2 dead as Imelda strands drivers, floods homes in Texas
- 29 years later, identity still unknown of woman found dead along I-40 in Orange County
- Presidential Candidate Bernie Sanders kicks off college tour at UNC-Chapel Hill
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now