HOLLY SPRINGS, N.C. (WNCN) — A child died after being hit by a truck in a Holly Springs neighborhood Saturday evening, officials say.
The incident was reported at 6:30 p.m. in the 200 block of Carolina Town Lane, according to Holly Springs Fire Chief LeRoy Smith.
The child was taken by Wake EMS to WakeMed in Raleigh for treatment but later died.
Relatives of the child have been notified.
Officials said that Holly Springs police are investigating the incident, which happened in the Holly Glen neighborhood off Avent Ferry Road.
People living along the street are in disbelief and say they’re praying for the victim’s family.
“They’re recently new neighbors in the neighborhood and they have a bunch of kids and we did just see them the other day walking past our house with their kids and their wagons so we’re shocked and heartbroken and just can’t believe that something like this would happen here,” said Nancy Stone, who lives along Carolina Town Lane.
Police had crime scene tape up blocking Carolina Town Lane Saturday night.
- ‘Bullet just hit my car’: I-485 driver just one victim of recent NC highway shootings
- Proposed NC Senate budget includes provision limiting governor’s power during State of Emergency
- 2 NC deputies injured by ‘accidental discharge of a firearm’ during training event
- Dashcam video shows New Mexico deputy save child from choking
- Raleigh man gets $250,000 bond for possession of child porn, deputies say