‘Combustible material’ near fireplace sparked Raleigh apartment fire, officials say

Wake County News
aileen drive fire

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Raleigh fire officials said a Thursday evening apartment fire was caused by combustible material too close to a fireplace

Crews responded to a fire at an apartment along the 3000 block of Aileen Drive, which is within a complex off Gorman Street between Tryon and Avent Ferry Roads, officials said.

There were reports of a person trapped on the second floor. 

As of 6:30 p.m., the fire had been contained to two units and all known occupants were accounted for, officials said. 

In all, the fire damaged three units. Nine people — five adults and four children — were displaced because of the blaze.

Firefighters said people escaped through windows. Lara Bushby saw it all from across the complex.

“I think I kind of went into ‘I need to help’ mode,” she said. “The smoke was up past the trees. And you can see the fire kind of like rolling around, for a lack of a better word, inside the buildings.”

Many residents were concerned when they came home to see first responders.

“I was driving down Gorman Street, and I saw all of the lights and I got worried,” Shane Stein said.

The Red Cross is helping the nine people displaced. Fire officials would not confirm what the combustible material was but said the fire was accidental in nature. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Local News
More National News
More Weather
More Sports
More Check This Out
More Wake County News
More Durham County News
More Cumberland County News
More Johnston County News
More Orange County News

Don't Miss