KNIGHTDALE, N.C. (WNCN) — A deadly motorcycle crash closed U.S. 264/Interstate 87 in Wake County for about an hour on Friday evening, officials said.
The crash, which happened just after 5:50 p.m. closed southbound I-87/westbound 64 Bypass near exit 13, which is the exit for U.S. 64 Business/Knightdale Boulevard.
The wreck happened as EMS had one lane blocked while dealing with a previous incident.
A man on a motorcycle, who was traveling in the same lanes, failed to stop and ran into the back of a separate car, troopers said.
Another car then hit the motorcyclist, who then died, according to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
Around 6:45 p.m., all lanes were reopened with the left lane remaining closed.
The entire highway reopened just before 7:30 p.m.
The identity of the man who died was not released.
A detour was set up earlier with motorists advised to take Exit 13 to U.S. 64 Business West, Take U.S. 64 Business West to I-540 East, and continue on I-540 East to reaccess I-87.
Traffic was backed up all the way to the U.S. 64 Bypass/U.S. 64 Business split.
- Hail the size of baseballs pummels Texas city
- Former TV weatherman sentenced to at least 4 years in child porn case
- Minneapolis police station torched amid George Floyd protests
- Motorcyclist killed in crash on Glenwood Avenue Friday morning, Raleigh police say
- Police bring outside agency in to investigate racist comments on TV station’s Facebook page
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now