RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Raleigh Police say 49-year-old James John Deren was arrested after crashing into a police cruiser Saturday night.
The crash happened just after 8 p.m. as an on-duty Raleigh Police officer was heading east on Westgate Road and tried to turn left onto Leesville Road, according to a news release from Raleigh Police.
Deren, who was traveling south on Leesville Road, drove through the intersection and crashed into the Raleigh Police vehicle, the news release said.
After the wreck, police say Deren fled along Westgate Road, then went off the road and crashed into a tree in the yard of a home at the corner of Sorrell Crossing.
Police say alcohol was a factor in the crash.
There were no serious injuries.
Deren was taken into custody and charged with driving while impaired and hit and run.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Trump threatens to regulate or close social media after Twitter fact-checks him
- Raleigh Harris Teeter manager sentenced to prison for running ‘gun pipeline’ to DC
- Tropical Storm Bertha forms off SC coast, expected to reach inland NC tonight
- Wedding photography company refuses to refund money after bride-to-be dies
- California sues over sex misconduct on ‘Criminal Minds’ set
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now