RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Raleigh Police say 49-year-old James John Deren was arrested after crashing into a police cruiser Saturday night.
The crash happened just after 8 p.m. as an on-duty Raleigh Police officer was heading east on Westgate Road and tried to turn left onto Leesville Road, according to a news release from Raleigh Police.
Deren, who was traveling south on Leesville Road, drove through the intersection and crashed into the Raleigh Police vehicle, the news release said.
After the wreck, police say Deren fled along Westgate Road, then went off the road and crashed into a tree in the yard of a home at the corner of Sorrell Crossing.
Police say alcohol was a factor in the crash.
There were no serious injuries.
Deren was taken into custody and charged with driving while impaired and hit and run.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- A look at how Wake County is prioritizing vaccine distribution
- 2 men killed, 2-year-old injured in shooting at Asheboro apartment complex
- Dr. Fauci says it’s ‘liberating’ to be a part of a science-friendly administration
- California man arrested in double murder of wife, daughter
- Rezoning petition could pave way for new Panthers stadium