Bedridden mom dies in accidental house fire in Raleigh, officials say

Wake County News

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities say a 71-year-old mother was killed in an accidental house fire in the 4800 block of Leven Lane early Sunday morning.

Authorities responded to the home around 1 a.m. and the woman, who they said was bedridden, was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The victim was later identified as Janice Shafran, according to a Sunday evening news release.

Shafran was smoking when the cigarette fell into a tube connected to her oxygen tank – sparking the fire.

According to the Wake County Sheriff’s Office, Shafran’s son reported checking on her before going outside to a shed in the back of the home. While in the shed, he smelled something burning and noticed thick smoke coming from the house, authorities say.

The son told deputies he then ran to a neighbor’s house to call 911. When he returned to the home to try and extinguish the fire, he was forced back out by heavy smoke.

For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.

Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Click here for full list of trending stories