WAKE COUNTY, N.C. (WNCN) – Authorities say a Clayton man was killed and his young daughter was injured in a head-on collision Saturday morning near Knightdale.
Highway Patrol officers responded to Old Faison Road near Bethlehem Road around 9 a.m.
According to a trooper at the scene, a man driving a GMC pickup truck fell asleep behind the wheel, crossed over the center line and crashed into an oncoming vehicle.
The driver of the oncoming car attempted to turn into the parking lot of Cathy Lee Day Care and Learning Center to avoid the truck but the truck struck the driver’s side of the vehicle, the trooper said.
The driver of the car, later identified as Joseph Murphy, 33, of Clayton, was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The passenger, his young daughter, sustained non-life threatening injuries and was transported to the hospital.
The driver of the pickup truck was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries as well.
Charges are pending against the driver of the pickup truck.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man transported to hospital after early morning stabbing in Raleigh, investigation underway
- Trump administration designates firearms industry as ‘critical’ infrastructure
- Wine curbside delivery dog: Maryland winery hopes to keep sales while social distancing
- Up to 200K deaths foreseen in US as Spain, Italy demand help
- Opinions differ about ABC stores being an ‘essential business’ as NC stay-at-home order looms
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now