RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A federal inmate at the Wake County Detention Center died Wednesday night, Sheriff Gerald Baker said.
The inmate, who was not identified, died by suicide at about 7 p.m. Wednesday. Baker said the inmate used a bedsheet to hang himself.
Baker said there were no indicators that the inmate was suicidal or experiencing a mental health crisis.
During the media briefing, Baker expressed his disagreement with a statewide mandate that jails must provide inmates with a sheet.
“This can no longer be tolerated,” Baker said.” This agency will continue to work with local and state officials to find alternatives that will prevent future suicide attempts from occurring, while (making) sure that inmates have safe, adequate bedding.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NC State, William & Mary cancel Monday game due to coronavirus
- Suspect sought in deadly Jacksonville shooting
- Wake Forest teen battling colon cancer ‘thankful’ for support and spending holiday with family
- Thousands travel through RDU over Thanksgiving, but numbers plummet from last year
- 1 wounded after shots fired into car along Glenwood Avenue in North Raleigh