CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – Northbound lanes of U.S. 1 were closed late Wednesday night after a fiery wreck involving a gas tanker truck, Town of Cary officials said.
The wreck happened around 11 p.m. when a car crashed into the back of a gas tanker truck. A spokesperson with the Town of Cary said the man driving the car that ran into the tanker was pulled from his vehicle by a passerby.
The man was taken to the hospital with serious injuries. The driver of the tanker was not injured, officials said.
Northbound lanes of U.S. 1 were closed just north of Tryon Road for a few hours and reopened just before 2:30 a.m., according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
No further information has been released at this time.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Griffin, Boeheim lead Syracuse past Clemson 64-54
- Cruise lines hoping to set sail soon as COVID-19 restrictions ease in some parts of the country
- NC State beats Notre Dame to finish season on 5-game win streak
- Zero-carbon by 2050? New Energy Secretary’s clean energy goal worries oil and gas industry advocates
- SpaceX Starship SN10 explodes after nailing landing