CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – Northbound lanes of U.S. 1 were closed late Wednesday night after a fiery wreck involving a gas tanker truck, Town of Cary officials said.
The wreck happened around 11 p.m. when a car crashed into the back of a gas tanker truck. A spokesperson with the Town of Cary said the man driving the car that ran into the tanker was pulled from his vehicle by a passerby.
The man was taken to the hospital with serious injuries. The driver of the tanker was not injured, officials said.
Northbound lanes of U.S. 1 were closed just north of Tryon Road for a few hours and reopened just before 2:30 a.m., according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
No further information has been released at this time.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Tiger at New York City zoo tests positive for coronavirus
- Up to 17 shots fired in drive-by shooting that injured baby, Durham neighbors say
- Many in Triangle head out boating, fishing while keeping social distancing in mind
- Raleigh nursing students ready to graduate, help amid COVID-19 pandemic
- 3 dead in NC boat crash; 2 men operated boats while impaired, officials say