CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – Northbound lanes of U.S. 1 were closed late Wednesday night after a fiery wreck involving a gas tanker truck, Town of Cary officials said.
The wreck happened around 11 p.m. when a car crashed into the back of a gas tanker truck. A spokesperson with the Town of Cary said the man driving the car that ran into the tanker was pulled from his vehicle by a passerby.
The man was taken to the hospital with serious injuries. The driver of the tanker was not injured, officials said.
Northbound lanes of U.S. 1 were closed just north of Tryon Road for a few hours and reopened just before 2:30 a.m., according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
No further information has been released at this time.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- More Triangle churches hold indoor services as Phase 2 reopening continues
- Fans pack stands at reopening of NC speedway after sheriff said he would not interfere
- Flooding seen in Cary, Raleigh after heavy thunderstorms pass through
- 1 dead, 8 wounded in 2 shootouts and 2 shootings in Charlotte in just 2 hours
- NC deputy shoots knife-wielding man at outdoor church service