MORRISVILLE, NC (WNCN) - Raleigh-Durham International Airport was evacuated for a short time Saturday morning following a fire at the Char-Grill restaurant located in Terminal 1.
The fire happened just before 5 a.m. and officials described it as a small kitchen grease fire. No one was injured.
The fire was extinguished quickly and the damage was contained to the kitchen area, officials said.
The building reopened at 5:30 a.m. and screening resumed at 6:15 a.m. Passengers and employees were required to be rescreened before terminal operations could resume.
The fire caused several flight delays but no cancellations.
Southwest Airlines passengers with flights were told to plan to arrive early and check with the airline for the current flight status.
Char-Grill will be closed until further notice, as well as Salsaritas, as they share a kitchen.
- Family speaks out after man released from jail following encounter with Raleigh police
- Raleigh police respond to shooting on Woodpecker Court
- Man, woman hospitalized with life-threatening injuries after shooting at Raleigh motel
- UNC historian calls Confederate monument movement 'a turning point in history'
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 3-judge panel blocks 2 amendments from NC ballot
- NC man wanted in assault of pregnant Waffle House waitress arrested in California
- ECU bus hits, injures bicyclist
- NC Zoo announces name of 2nd southern white rhino born in July