GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) – Construction is underway to complete the Triangle Expressway from where it currently ends in Apex to Interstate 40.
The Complete 540 project will happen in three phases.
Phase one construction is happening now. When the project is complete, 540 will stretch from the N.C. 55 Bypass to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 (Interstate 87) in Knightdale.
SkyEye17 confirmed land clearing near homes. Many residents’ backyards have turned into a construction site, so that’s why former Department of Transportation attorneys are holding a public meeting to provide information about the project and what people need to know.
It will take place on Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Garner at the Hampton Inn Raleigh/Clayton.
According to the NCDOT, Complete 540 will cost $2.2 billion. First phase construction is estimated to wrap up in 2023.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Track coach remembers NC teen killed in hit-and-run as star athlete
- Virginia’s highest court upholds weapons ban at gun rally
- Carolina drops OT decision to Anaheim for 3rd straight loss
- Cary bicyclist wants to thank others who helped when he fell and broke hip
- NC dad charged with murder in baby’s death; relatives mourn 3-month-old boy
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now