Fugitive mom wanted on child abandonment charge arrested in Raleigh

Wake County News

A Texas mother accused of tying up and abandoning her daughter before disappearing for more than a year has been arrested in Raleigh.

Michele Boyd, 43, appeared in Wake County court today. She will be extradited to Texas.

A  registered nurse, respected in her San Antonio community, Boyd disappeared in November of 2016.  Investigators say she left her only daughter with her arms and mouth taped, tied to an ice machine in the parking lot of a Walgreens.

According to an affidavit, Boyd was inside the Walgreens with the child around 11:30 on Nov. 24, 2016, and was caught by an employee attempting to steal items. The employee called police, but Boyd and the child had already left the store when authorities arrived.


A few hours later, around 2:15 a.m., an employee went outside and found the child tied to the ice machine and wrapped in tape, according to the affidavit. The employee freed the child and brought the child inside the store before calling police.

Boyd’s mother, Susan Roode, said she could hardly believe the accusations against her daughter. 

“She just adored that child, so it was just so hard to fathom,” she said. 

Boyd’s mother and husband both told CBS 17, Boyd showed signs of possible mental illness before her disappearance, and as the months passed her family continued to search.

 “I never gave up hope that she was alive,” said Roode.  “We all felt that she was alive somewhere that she was running hiding. We knew that she had been exhibiting some paranoia behavior before she left I knew she was hiding somewhere and she was afraid.”

Roode says she doesn’t know how her daughter ended up in Raleigh, but says she called over the weekend and told her she was in a hospital here after possibly suffering a seizure, but when law enforcement learned who and where she was, they arrested her. 

Before heading to Raleigh from San Antonio, her husband said, over the phone how relieved he is.  He says his daughter asks about her mom a lot.

“She’s just ready to see mommy again,” said Seth Boyd.

It may be a little while before that happens though. Michele Boyd will go back to Texas to face a child abandonment charge then her family hopes to get her psychological help.  

“It’s not the end,” said Roode. “She’s got a long road ahead of her, I know that, but she’s alive we’re praising God.”


Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Click here for full list of trending stories