GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) — A Garner woman is behind bars after police say she beat her husband with a metal baseball bat at their home on Sunday afternoon and he later died from his injuries.

According to police, Harriett McNair Boykin, 67, attacked her husband on Sunday afternoon in the 1700-block of Misty Meadow Lane.

“It was devastating because when they told me that, I already knew what happened. I just knew it was something pertaining to his wife,” said Joey Boykin’s brother Jerome.

The beating, which police said occurred around 2 p.m., left her husband, Joey Keith Boykin, 58, with serious injuries.

According to officials, Harriett Boykin used a baseball bat to repeatedly strike her husband in the head. Joey Boykin was left unconscious after the assault.

He was transported to the hospital where he later died.

Jerome says the couple was married for nearly 30 years, but that the relationship was volatile. 

“Last week he spent three or four days with me, stayed with me at my home to get away from this” said Boykin.

According to records obtained by CBS17, Garner Police were called to the couple’s home multiple times over the last month. After an incident on 2/1, Joey Boykin was involuntarily committed. His brother says he went for a mental health evaluation.

In a 911 call from Sunday the caller tells the dispatcher the couple had been in a fight.

DISPATCH: Do you know anymore information, did she tell you anything further?
CALLER: Umm no. That he threw something at her and she was protecting herself.

The 67-year-old woman is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

Jerome Boykin says he’ll remember his brother doing what he loved most, riding motorcycles.

“Spend every moment you can with your family and your loved ones. Don’t put off anything. If they call you, need you, be there because it might be your last,” Boykin said.

Police said Harriett Boykin is currently being held in the Wake County Detention Center under no bond and the investigation is ongoing.

Harriett Boykin has not been charged with the killing at this time.