CARY, N.C. (WNCN) — A gas leak caused by a construction crew accidently hitting a line in Cary has led to the evacuation of a KinderCare on Kilmayne Drive.
According to the Town of Cary, a call came in around 10 a.m. Monday about a possible gas leak in the area of Kilmayne Drive and Kildaire Farm Road. Damage on a 4-inch line was discovered and people could smell gas, but there were no active flames.
Joey Smith with the Cary Fire Department told CBS 17 crews used a monitor that can detect flammable gases in the response.
“We didn’t detect anything there but we did detect odor and the wind direction was taking it that way so out of an abundance of caution we went ahead and evacuated them,” said Smith.
The Kildare Farm KinderCare on Kilmayne Drive was evacuated, but no injuries were reported. No other evacuations took place at nearby businesses as they were not impacted.
Dominion Energy was on the scene to make repairs. They were able to secure the leak around 11 a.m. According to a spokesperson for the company, the damage was caused when construction workers in the area accidentally hit the line.
Kilmayne Drive was closed at the intersection with Kildaire Farm Road as a result of the incident, but is now open to traffic.