RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A crash along Interstate 40 in Wake County shut down eastbound traffic for about an hour Friday night near Airport Boulevard.
The wreck was reported just after 8:45 p.m. along I-40 near exit 384, Airport Boulevard, just east of Interstate 540, according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
The wreck, which has injuries, involved two SUVs that collided with each other, according to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
Officials said that all but one of the eastbound lanes were closed, but images from the scene appeared to show all lanes were closed and heavy traffic in the area.
The highway reopened around 9:45 p.m., but heavy congestion remained in the area.
Another wreck in I-40 eastbound lanes happened at 10:10 p.m. about a mile west of the initial crash — just west of I-540 and east of Page Road.
The second wreck also closed I-40 just before I-540 and the highway reopened around 11:35 p.m.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Dr. Cohen: No COVID-19 virus in vaccine for the disease
- Politicians eat their words after dining out, taking trips during pandemic
- COVID-19 vaccination cards will be issued, health officials say
- NC State men’s basketball to play 11 games at PNC Arena this season
- Emails show health department will stop Youngsville Christmas Parade unless plans are altered