RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A large vehicle fire broke out Tuesday evening along Interstate 40 just west of the Wade Avenue exit.
Images from NC DOT cameras at the scene at 5:35 p.m. showed a large fire, with flames spreading off the highway and up an embankment.
Traffic in the area came to a standstill because of the blaze, which was extinguished by 5:45 p.m. It’s not clear if a crash caused the fire.
All lanes in the area were reopened around 6:45 p.m.
The fire happened near where a deadly crash happened earlier in the day Tuesday.
- 1 taken to hospital after shooting at North Hills shopping center in Raleigh; 1 detained
- No. 18 Alabama beats No. 1 North Carolina 103-101 in 4 OTs
- The man behind the Panthers mascot: Being Sir Purr’s assistant is a full-time job!
- Edey scores 21 as No. 24 Purdue upsets No. 8 Duke 75-56 in Phil Knight Legacy tournament
- Fugitive sex offender nabbed in NC town after month-long search; woman helped him hide out, deputies say