CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – A major section of U.S. Route 1 south was shut down Thursday morning due to a fatal crash, according to the Cary Police Department.
Police were on scene for several hours investigating a crash that occurred on U.S. 1 south between Walnut Street and Tryon Road. U.S. 1 was completely blocked in this stretch of road.
Northbound lanes were slow but still moving and did not get shut down.
According to police, the crash happened when “The victim’s vehicle was disabled and she was struck from behind by another vehicle.”
Melissa Dewy, 27, of Ohio was killed in the collision, Cary police said.
Police did not say if the woman was outside the vehicle or if she was ejected when her vehicle was hit.
Two other vehicles were involved.
One driven by a 26-year-old Raleigh woman and the other driven by a different 26-year-old Raleigh woman.
Cary police provided no other details.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 7-year-old Jeopardy! superfan gets sweet message from Alex Trebek after dressing up as ‘mini-Trebek’ for Halloween
- At least 1 dead as Hurricane Zeta hammers Gulf Coast
- U.S. Marshals searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ man in NC
- President Trump targeting rural voters in recent NC campaign stops
- ALERT DAY: Zeta remnants bring severe weather, wind to NC Thursday
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now