RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A Raleigh man is behind bars and charged in connection with a fatal pedestrian crash that happened early on Friday.
According to police, the fatal collision occurred in the 2700-block of S. Saunders Street near S. Wilmington Street.
The incident occurred at 1:06 a.m. and closed the road in the area for a little less than four hours.
According to a Raleigh Police Department wreck report, Walter Andrew Everhart stepped off the curb and into the right lane of S. Saunders Street before being hit.
Fletcher Fairbanks Martin, 34, was arrested at the scene and is charged with aggravated felony death by vehicle and driving while impaired. The wreck report shows Martin had a BAC of 0.15, nearly twice the legal limit.
Martin was taken to the Wake County Detention Center and given a $155,000 secured bond. Records show he has since bonded out.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- SCDOT help keep streets clean with annual cleanup program
- Tepper says no decision yet on future of QB Cam Newton
- Franklin County animal advocates take concerns about shelter to commissioners
- Interim chancellor: Report detailing UNC’s crime response, reporting is ‘extremely concerning’
- NC receiving funds to elevate I-95 after repeated flooding
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now