RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A Raleigh man is behind bars and charged in connection with a fatal pedestrian crash that happened early on Friday.
According to police, the fatal collision occurred in the 2700-block of S. Saunders Street near S. Wilmington Street.
The incident occurred at 1:06 a.m. and closed the road in the area for a little less than four hours.
According to a Raleigh Police Department wreck report, Walter Andrew Everhart stepped off the curb and into the right lane of S. Saunders Street before being hit.
Fletcher Fairbanks Martin, 34, was arrested at the scene and is charged with aggravated felony death by vehicle and driving while impaired. The wreck report shows Martin had a BAC of 0.15, nearly twice the legal limit.
Martin was taken to the Wake County Detention Center and given a $155,000 secured bond. Records show he has since bonded out.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Kentucky bill would require sex education classes, beginning in kindergarten
- PETA is calling on Punxsutawney Phil to retire and be replaced with robot
- FL couple furious after they say Target employee ‘cut up’ hundreds of dollars worth of gift cards
- Political act at Biden office led to arrests, but organization believes in their cause
- Caucus Countdown: Former Polk County Democratic Party Chair talks unprecedented caucus