RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A 44-year-old man was arrested Tuesday for the August murder of an 18-year-old basketball star, according to Raleigh police.
Roland Lacure is charged with Desmond Jenkins’ shooting death. Raleigh police were called to the 9400 block of Prince George Lane just before 11:45 p.m. on Aug. 9. Jenkins was found suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to WakeMed where he later died, police said.
Jenkins was a recent graduate of Sanderson High School. He was an accomplished high school basketball player and had been recruited to play at Granville-Vance Community College.
Jenkins was set to start college in a week when he was shot in front of his apartment.
Friends believed Jenkins’ murder was too targeted to be random.
“I mean, I don’t know. Maybe something he didn’t tell us,” said Jalen Aris. “We’re all just mind blown by it we’re still trying to figure all of it out.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Youth baseball beginning to resume across central North Carolina
- College student wanted in 2 Connecticut slayings is captured in Maryland
- UNC cancer center volunteers helping local restaurants, healthcare workers one meal at a time
- Historically, 2 named storms before beginning of hurricane season is uncommon
- Author John Grisham details his North Carolina ties, how they work into his writing
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now