KNIGHTDALE, N.C. (WNCN) — The victim of a home invasion shot one of the intruders Saturday after two suspects forced their way into his Knightdale home while two small children were inside, police said.
The incident happened Saturday afternoon after “a series of heated group text messages,” Knightdale police said in a news release.
Two men then forced their way into an apartment at the Park Place Apartment complex in the 200 block of Luxury Lane, according to Knightdale police.
The pair “burst” through the front door and began assaulting the 26-year-old man who lives there, the news release said.
A woman and two small children were inside the apartment at the time.
“During the attack, (the victim) was able to retrieve his handgun and shoot one of his assailants,” police said in the release.
The suspects then fled. Police said the victim and the two suspects knew each other.
Authorities quickly found Jasper Tyler, 22, and Zairee Parker, 23, both of Raleigh at WakeMed, police said.
Parker was admitted to the hospital for surgery. Tyler was taken into custody, according to police.
Knightdale police are continuing their investigation into the incident.
- Beachgoers have rare encounter with leatherback sea turtle nesting during daylight hours
- NC man sentenced to prison for cyberstalking Maryland woman
- On Memorial Day, Virginia restaurant sets an empty table to honor the fallen
- US Coast Guard Cutter Diligence leaves Wilmington after decades of calling it home
- VIDEO: Naked man arrested in the road in Myrtle Beach
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now