NEW LIGHT, N.C. (WNCN) — Wake County deputies arrested a man after a car crash following a reported shooting Tuesday evening.
The incident was reported around 6:45 p.m. along Bruce Drive off Purnell Road, according to a news release from Eric Curry, a spokesman for the Wake County Sheriff’s Office.
The person who called authorities reported the incident as a shooting, Curry said.
“While deputies were in route, they received a second call of a shooting victim in a black SUV, near Stoney Hill and Purnell Roads,” the news release.
As a deputy arrived at the scene, a man drove off in the SUV “at a high rate of speed,” Curry said.
The driver then crashed and ran from the SUV on Purnell Road, near New Light Road, according to the news release.
A sheriff’s office K-9 team helped find the man about an hour later in nearby woods.
“Deputies recovered a firearm and narcotics from the vehicle,” Curry said.
Christopher Thomas Vaughn, who Curry said was the suspect, was taken to WakeMed with injuries and faces several charges, including possession of a firearm by a felon.
Curry later said a gunshot wound was not among Vaughn’s injuries. Vaughn, 34, is from Oxford, Curry said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man accused of trying to kidnap 2-year-old from car backing out of California parking spot
- NC State’s Drake Thomas stands tall for Wolfpack defense
- LIVE BLOG: Tropical Storm Beta makes landfall Monday along Texas coast
- Sen. Graham says SCOTUS hearing will help him win
- AG Barr announces $100M more to combat human trafficking