GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) – A 29-year-old Benson man died in a fiery single-vehicle crash in Wake County near Garner early on Tuesday, according to North Carolina State Highway Patrol officials.
Raul Mendiole Hernandez was traveling east on Ten-Ten Road near Rand Road around 1:10 a.m. when his vehicle went left of center, Hernandez overcorrected and then ran his vehicle off the right side of the road and slammed into a tree, officials said. The vehicle then caught fire.
Authorities said Hernandez “exceeded the posted speed” on the road when he crashed. He was declared dead at the scene.
Officials said speed appears to be the cause of the crash but they’re not sure at this time if there were other factors that led to the fatal incident. The wreck is under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Driver shot by occupant of another vehicle in Durham, police say
- Welcome the family back indoors this Fall with new floors
- Tuesday, September 22nd : Celebrate the flavors of Fall with local produce
- Texas man who sought to kill, rape and eat a child sentenced to 40 years in federal prison
- Notre Dame at Wake Forest postponed after 7 Fighting Irish test positive for COVID-19
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now