GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) – A 29-year-old Benson man died in a fiery single-vehicle crash in Wake County near Garner early on Tuesday, according to North Carolina State Highway Patrol officials.
Raul Mendiole Hernandez was traveling east on Ten-Ten Road near Rand Road around 1:10 a.m. when his vehicle went left of center, Hernandez overcorrected and then ran his vehicle off the right side of the road and slammed into a tree, officials said. The vehicle then caught fire.
Authorities said Hernandez “exceeded the posted speed” on the road when he crashed. He was declared dead at the scene.
Officials said speed appears to be the cause of the crash but they’re not sure at this time if there were other factors that led to the fatal incident. The wreck is under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Should fewer Americans get a $1,400 stimulus check?
- Durham County sheriff requiring employees to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Former Wake County deputy arrested after hours-long standoff, sheriff’s office says
- No. 20 Hokies rebound from road loss to top Notre Dame 62-51
- One Raleigh provider gearing up for mass vaccine distribution