RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A man who authorities believe was lying down in the middle of a neighborhood road is dead after he was run over by a car, according to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
Troopers and Raleigh police responded to a pedestrian struck call at 1:57 a.m. on Landover Ridge Drive, officials said. A pedestrian was found dead at the scene when authorities arrived but no vehicle was there, a trooper told CBS 17.
Raleigh police were able to track the suspect vehicle down in a nearby neighborhood.
Authorities said speed is not believed to be a factor and they don’t believe the driver was intoxicated in any way.
The trooper said they believe the man who was hit was lying in the road and wearing dark clothing. They’re not sure why the man was there.
No charges have been filed against the driver.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- ReOpen NC group plans marches in Raleigh, other cities on Memorial Day
- Bacteria levels high along Neuse River as testing continues this year in Triangle
- Clinic offering free COVID-19 testing for uninsured Franklin County residents
- NC sheriff’s office mourning loss of deputy, wife
- NC student tests positive for COVID-19 after attending graduation event
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now