RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — It’s a little brighter in Raleigh after Saturday — as the city rings in holiday cheer — with the downtown Raleigh Christmas tree lighting celebration.
Saturday evening’s event featured music, food, and lots of hot chocolate for everyone. Of course, there were opportunities to take pictures with Santa Claus, himself.
CBS 17 spoke to one couple who has been coming to the event for more than 30 years.
“It’s very important that everybody show up and celebrate this occasion. And it’s not just a regular event — it’s very special,” said Raleigh resident Ramzi Tanas. “I love to come over here to see the tree lighting, and to celebrate Christmas, as well.”
The event also marked Nancy McFarlane’s final tree lighting event as mayor.
She did not run for re-election after serving for eight years.
- Mom warns of dangers of open-air carbon monoxide poisoning after son dies after a day on the lake
- 100+ firefighters extinguish large fire at former school in Wendell
- Durham man busted with ‘Gray Death’ drugs after 120 mph chase on I-95, Nash County sheriff says
- 1 dead in 2-vehicle crash in Durham, police say
- Mom fights off masked attacker who grabbed her, toddler outside California home
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now