RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A Raleigh man was killed when he ran off the road and slammed his motorcycle into a light pole Friday morning, according to a police report.
Police responded to a vehicle crash call in the 1800-block of Glenwood Avenue, also known as the Five Points area, at 12:34 a.m., officials said.
According to a police crash report, the motorcyclist, later identified as Stephen Gerard Kayatin, was traveling at approximately 55 mph in a 25 mph zone when he cleared a curved intersection and then ran off the road and crashed into a light pole.
Kayatin was pronounced dead at the scene when police arrived.
No other vehicles were involved in the incident, police said.
The outbound lanes of Glenwood Avenue were closed until around 4:20 a.m. as police investigated the fatal crash.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Second stimulus check: Report shows first payment saved thousands from poverty
- Raleigh pools reopen with restrictions
- Bubonic Plague case diagnosed in China
- ‘God has another angel’: Broadway star Nick Cordero dies at 41 after COVID-19 battle
- Museum says ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ car with Confederate flag will stay
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now