RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – North Carolina School of Science and Math students who designed an app aimed to help encourage recycling are finalists for in a contest that could earn the school $10,000 in technology.
The app uses a phone’s camera and tells the user if something can be recycled. Just by pointing it at the item, it can tell with 90 percent accuracy if it is plastic.
The students are finalists for the Samsung Solve for Tomorrow contest.
Voting is open until March 30.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Tiger at New York City zoo tests positive for coronavirus
- Up to 17 shots fired in drive-by shooting that injured baby, Durham neighbors say
- Many in Triangle head out boating, fishing while keeping social distancing in mind
- Raleigh nursing students ready to graduate, help amid COVID-19 pandemic
- 3 dead in NC boat crash; 2 men operated boats while impaired, officials say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now