RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A man was seriously injured Wednesday morning in a crash on Interstate 540 that authorities say speed and possibly alcohol were factors in.
The crash happened on I-540 eastbound but the crash scene ended up in the westbound lanes near U.S. Route 64 Business, North Carolina State Highway Patrol officials said.
According to authorities, the driver was heading eastbound on I-540 when they ran into the median, hit the guardrail, flipped their car and then ended up in the westbound lanes.
Troopers on scene said that speed was a factor in the crash and they believe that, based on the cold beer cans scattered around the scene, that alcohol may have been a factor as well.
The driver has serious but non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.
Authorities have not said if any charges will be filed. No one else was injured in the crash.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- Karen forms near Caribbean, still watching Jerry and soon-to-be Lorenzo
- GM adds 2 model years to recall involving welds in small SUVs
- NC fugitive who tricked 4 bondsmen is caught after 8-hour standoff
- Residents excited as 1st grocery store opens in downtown Raleigh
- Thomas’ TD return helps NC State beat Ball State 34-23
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now