GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) – A male pedestrian was hit Tuesday night and killed, causing the westbound lanes of Interstate 40 to close near US Route 70 west in southern Wake County near Johnston County, according to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
The incident happened on I-40 west near exit 306. One of the westbound lanes reopened shortly before midnight Tuesday. The other lane opened shortly after.
Authorities told CBS 17 that they “have the vehicle involved,” but didn’t say if that meant any charges were going to be filed or if they had arrested anyone.
The identity of the victim has not been released.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- VDH confirms first child death due to COVID-19 is teen in the Southside Health District
- Foot Locker turning U.S. stores into temporary voter registration sites
- 2 groups exchanged gunfire outside North Carolina day care, police say
- North Carolina Marine – the oldest living – celebrates 107th birthday
- Garner chief: Police chase of stolen vehicle ends when it crashes into Raleigh house
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now