GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) – A male pedestrian was hit Tuesday night and killed, causing the westbound lanes of Interstate 40 to close near US Route 70 west in southern Wake County near Johnston County, according to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
The incident happened on I-40 west near exit 306. One of the westbound lanes reopened shortly before midnight Tuesday. The other lane opened shortly after.
Authorities told CBS 17 that they “have the vehicle involved,” but didn’t say if that meant any charges were going to be filed or if they had arrested anyone.
The identity of the victim has not been released.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Fans allowed back in the stands at Wake County school sporting events
- 7 arrested after long-term NC investigation into illegal drug sales
- Man reaches through NC home’s open window, grabs 14-year-old girl
- There’s something in the water off Virginia Beach: Shrimp!
- No. 6 Duke comes up short against No. 8 Michigan State