NC State dorm evacuated for hours during bomb threat investigation

Wake County News

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — North Carolina State University police evacuated a dorm for about five hours Sunday while they conducted a “bomb threat” investigation, officials said.

The incident ended late Sunday night at Watauga Residence Hall, according to N.C. State police. Officials said the evacuation was a precaution while the investigation was taking place.

Some students were allowed back inside the dorm earlier Sunday evening.

But around 10:15 p.m. all students were evacuated again for a second sweep of the building. Around 11:05 p.m., the building was given the all-clear and all students were allowed to return, officials said.

Authorities initially would not say what the investigation was about.

There were no active safety alerts, called “Wolf Alerts,” on the N.C. State website or Twitter.

However, a brief message was posted at 6:04 p.m. on the Twitter account of N.C. State University Emergency Management and Mission Continuity: “Please avoid Katherine Stinson Dr. and Pullen Dr. due to police activity. Police are conducting an investigation and have evacuated Watauga Residence Hall as precautionary measure.”

At 6:50 p.m., the N.C. State University Twitter account said there was a “bomb threat” at the dorm, but did so only in replies to other tweets. It also denied rumors of an active shooter on campus.

Freshman Landon Hong said he spoke to many people who were disappointed in N.C. State’s communication.

“Everyone was kind of freaking out — we thought it was a shooter, but then apparently there’s a bomb threat,” said Hong.

Sophomore Jordan Isley said there’s a disconnect between an email students were sent and what happened, leaving some students confused about what happened nearly two hours later.

“It didn’t really allude to what exactly happened, so I noticed there are some people in Talley (Student Union), or some students that are kind of still in the dark about it,” Isley said.

Freshman David Crozier lives in an area close to the dorm. He said he received texts from his resident assistant to stay inside.

“I was getting texts probably every three minutes or so to stay safe,” Crozier said.

He said he thinks his resident assistant and university did a good job communicating the situation.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Click here for full list of trending stories