OAK ISLAND, N.C. (CNN NEWSOURCE) — A North Carolina father of six died after a wave struck him on a beach and slammed him to the sand, breaking his neck.
Lee Dingle of Raleigh was 37 years old.
His wife posted the tragic news on Twitter.
She said he was playing on Oak Island’s beach with three of his kids Thursday when the wave struck him.
She said the force of the impact broke his neck and made his throat swell so much his brain was deprived of oxygen beyond the point of recovery.
She said despite the efforts of some heroes, including their kids, to save him, he died a day later.
Oak Island Water Rescue says it and other agencies gave emergency care to Dingle within minutes of the accident, but he did not make it.
A GoFundMe has been set up to raise money for his wife and six children.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Louisville police officer files lawsuit against Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend
- After nearly closing due to the pandemic, Raleigh costume shop seeing big Halloween business
- 8-year-old accidentally shot, killed inside NC home, police say
- As virus surges, Trump rallies keep packing in thousands
- Colorado man denied lottery winnings after missing deadline by 3 days
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now