OAK ISLAND, N.C. (CNN NEWSOURCE) — A North Carolina father of six died after a wave struck him on a beach and slammed him to the sand, breaking his neck.
Lee Dingle of Raleigh was 37 years old.
His wife posted the tragic news on Twitter.
She said he was playing on Oak Island’s beach with three of his kids Thursday when the wave struck him.
She said the force of the impact broke his neck and made his throat swell so much his brain was deprived of oxygen beyond the point of recovery.
She said despite the efforts of some heroes, including their kids, to save him, he died a day later.
Oak Island Water Rescue says it and other agencies gave emergency care to Dingle within minutes of the accident, but he did not make it.
A GoFundMe has been set up to raise money for his wife and six children.
- Beyoncé’s mom slams ‘stupid narrative’ that singer lightened her skin: ‘I’m sick of you losers’
- Wilson natives share their Cherokee heritage, traditions
- NC pastor charged after toddler accidentally shot in the head outside church
- WW II veteran discovers possible connection with Charlotte Tuskegee Airman
- Charges dropped against couple in controversial arrests by Charlotte police at bus stop